The R10 IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) takes initiatives to provide various values for IEEE members and societies in Asia Pacific Region (R10) and promote achievements of women engineers/professionals. The visions are:
- Promote women in science and engineering in R10
- Motivate and inspire women engineers & scientists
- Foster women’s technological skills
- Encourage girls to be engineers & scientists
R10 WIE strongly supports and encourages WIE activities conducted by WIE Affinity Groups (AGs) in R10. Specifically, R10 WIE Committee selects excellent activities and gives R10 WIE funds for them.
R10 Women in Engineering (WIE) has instituted both the IEEE R10 WIE Section Affinity Group of the Year Award and the IEEE R10 WIE Student Branch Affinity Group of the Year Award to recognize distinguished WIE Section Affinity Group and WIE Student Branch Affinity Group respectively.
Based on the merit of each candidate AG, the R10 Awards & Recognition Committee may select one winner in each category for the prevailing contest year. If no AG is found to be suitable, no award will be given in that year.
The IEEE R10 WIE Section / Student Branch Affinity Group of the Year Awards are given annually to WIE Section / Student Branch Affinity Groups in R10 that have shown outstanding initiatives and performance in organizing activities. The awards are based on programs that took place during the period of 1 January to 31 December of the preceding year.
- The nomination is accepted via IEEE Openwaters system.
- The nomination form must be completed by Nominator who is familiar with the work and contribution of the candidate(s) and endorsed by the Section Chair (The endorsement can be downloaded from https://wie.ieeer10.org/awards/ and need to be uploaded with the application from).
- Nominator must be IEEE members of professional membership grade.
- Members of the R10 WIE Committee cannot act as Nominator.
- As a general rule, an Affinity Group cannot receive this award more than once every three years.
Basis of Selection
The IEEE R10 WIE Section / Student Branch Affinity Group of the Year Award are selected by R10 WIE committee based on the following criteria:
- Quality of activities and programs
- Support from the Section
- Collaboration with Student Branch/YP Affinity Group or other groups
- The number of participants
- Growth of affinity group membership
- Communication with its members
- What ways
- How often
If no candidate is found to be suitable, no award will be given for the year.
The R10 WIE awards selection committee is composed of at least 3 members, 2 of whom are nominated by the R10 WIE committee and to be headed by the latter’s chair. The award selection committee reserves the right to present no award if the committee is not satisfied with the standard or quality of entries received. The decision of the award selection committee, as approved by the R10 Director, is final.
- Call for Nominations: 31 March 2023
- Nomination Deadline: 31 May 2023
- Evaluation period: 1 June 2023 – 31 July 2023
- Recipient Notified: By 30 September 2023
An award plaque and award prize of USD 500 will be awarded to the awarding Section/ Student Branch Affinity Group.
Award will be presented to the attending Section Chair or representative at the R10 Annual General Meeting. Section shall then arrange to present the award to the award recipient(s) at an appropriate local Section event/ occasion.
R10 WIE Committee Chair will notify the result of selection by e-mail to individual award recipient. R10 Awards & Recognition Committee Chair will make an official result announcement to the Section/ Council Chairs and Secretaries, and also maintain a record of award recipients on the R10 Website.