IEEE R10 Women in Engineering Chair
Khanita Duangchaemkarn, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
IEEE Thailand Section
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Phayao, Thailand
“Volunteering makes a difference”
Bridging the gender gap and encouraging overall diversity in the engineering field are important. Gender equality improves both scientific and financial outcomes which is a benefit to advancing technology for humanity.
As a post-pandemic year in 2023, WIE will encourage more face-to-face activities among region 10 WIE members and affinity groups. WIE will also continue to support local WIE AG, especially the joint organizing activities between 2 or more different OUs. This objective is to promote the diversity and inclusion of WIE members in technical fields and in international regions other than region 10.
In region 10, WIE is the professional home of 28,346 WIE members, which contributes 73% of total WIE members around the world. While most of our members are students, empowering them is the most important task that WIE aims to highlight.
To overcome the gender bias in STEM career, WIE are planning to shine a spotlight on our outstanding WIE members through awards and recognition campaigns. By focusing on public visibility, we know that it is a smart move to showcase excellence and challenge negative stereotypes about gender equality in science and engineering.
Activity Plans in 2023-24:
1. WIE AG Engagement Campaigns: WIE Engagement Program is aiming to promote R10 Section WIE Affinity Groups initiatives as well as WIE membership development and retention. We will support the establishment of new WIE Affinity Groups and motivate and guide less active or inactive groups in performing activities. We have more networking opportunities for accelerating communication between WIE members in R10.
2. WIE Special Support Fund: R10 WIE encourages the development of local activities to solve the social issues under the COVID-19 situation.
3. WIE Visibility Enhancement: We will promote networking, sharing of knowledge and launch new initiatives to support R10 WIE objectives through R10 flagship conferences. We will support WIE track at TENSYMP/TENCON/R10HTC and WIE track across sections.
4. IEEE R10 WIE Awards & Recognitions: IEEE R10 WIE will identify outstanding WIE Affinity Groups, Student Branch WIE Affinity Groups and outstanding WIE volunteers (student/professional) for IEEE R10 WIE awards. 2021 R10 WIE awards are for activity/contributions during 2020.
Let us all work together to change the world!
5. MentorHer (Mentors-Mentees program): As a new initiative, R10 WIE starts mentoring program in 2021.
IEEE R10 WIE Committee Chair 2023
IEEE WIE Region 10 Coordinator 2023
For more details about WIE, please click here.